This page lists NC beach resorts on
the Outer Banks and southern coastline with tourist
attractions and lodging.
The Outer Banks and Southern Coast
There are over 320 miles of shoreline in North Carolina. Most
beaches are located on the Barrier Islands. The sounds separate
the islands from the mainland, they are north to south: Currituck,
Albemarle, Roanoke, Croatan, Pamlico, Core and Bogue Sound.
Kure Beach, Fort Fisher and Carolina Beach are located on Pleasure
Island near Wilmington.
Jacksonville NC is the location
of the US Marine Corp base. It is in Onslow County, Closest beaches:
Hammocks Beach State Park on Bear Island.
Bern is noted for the Tryon Palace where the British appointed
governor of NC lived just prior to the American Revolution. Beaches
are 35 miles away.
Hotels near NC coastal attractions
- Knots Island - just south of the Virginia line, main road
is NC 615 - quiet isolated area with private homes, Mackay Island
National Wildlife Refuge - hiking, biking, bird watching
- Currituck Banks - Carova Beach, North Swan Beach, Swan Beach,
Ocean Beach, Currituck National Wildlife Refuge
- Corolla - northern Outer
Banks - location of the Currituck Lighthouse.
Kill Devil Hills is near Jockey Ridge Park where you can
hand glide or fly kites.
Hawk has a monument dedicated to the Wright Brothers who
flew the first airplane (glider).
Nags Head - Jockey Ridge State Park
- Bodie Island - lighthouse
- Pea Island national Wildlife Refuge
- Famous for the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse and shipwrecks
- National Seashore
Island - lighthouse
- Cedar Island
- Cape Lookout National Seashore - lighthouse
- Harkers Island
- Shackleford Banks
Beach - is on Bogue Sound and is close to Havelock, Pine
Knoll Shores and Morehead City. It is the most southern point
of the Outer Banks and known as the Crystal coast.
- Pine Knoll Shores
- Indian Beach East
- Salter Path
- Emerald Isle
- Hammocks Beach State Park
- Camp Lejeune
- Sneads Ferry
- Top Sail Island is close to Sneads Ferry and Jacksonville
on the mainland. There are many shipwrecks off the coast here.
You can go scuba diving and search for sunken treasure. At low
tide you can even see the tops of sunken ships from the beach.
- Surf City
- Top Sail beach
- Shell Island
- Wrightsville Beach is the closest beach to Wilmington (10miles)
- Pleasure Island - Carolina beach town, Kure Beach, Fort
- Carolina Beach State Park
- Southport - lighthouse 2 miles away
Coast Attractions Highlights
- Knots Island to Currituck
- Cedar Island
- Knotts Island
- Pamlico River
- Swan Quarter
see ncferry.org for
schedule (link opens in new window)
There are lots of seafood festivals, events and fishing tournaments
taking place all year round throughout the North Carolina Coastal